things to do
September 18, 2022 by Brian Champlin
Dinosaurs, community feasts and free BBQs. Sounds like a pretty good Sunday, right?
Below are our top 3 picks for today (September 18) in Los Angeles, followed by a list of seven other quick ideas to consider. I hope you like it!
Activities for Saturday in Los Angeles
Dino Fest at the Natural History Museum -> This Sunday, Dino Fest returns to NHMLA for a day of celebrations of the prehistoric giants that once ruled the earth. Expect rare specimens from the NHM’s permanent collections, participate in hands-on activities, shop for dinosaur-themed merchandise, and more. Tickets go on sale September 8th. More info here.
Mexican Independence Parade -> A Sunday, the 76th annual Mexican Independence Day Parade in east Los Angeles spans a 1 mile stretch of Cesar E. Chavez Ave between Mednik and Record, with an adjacent festival emerging on Mednik and running south to 1st St. Expect music, entertainment and lots of family fun. The parade starts at 10:00 am and the festival activities take place from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm. Participation is free. More info here.
Moompetam Festival -> A Saturday and SundayLong Beach’s Aquarium of the Pacific celebrates local Aboriginal cultures through a two-day event of storytelling, dance, performance and crafts. Admission to the festival is included in general admission, which starts at $36.95 for adults. Runs daily from 9am to 5pm. More information is available here.
Seven more things to do in LA today
- 626 Night Market returns to Santa Monica this fall with a smaller version of its popular Asian fusion food market.
- Americana in the park in Santa Monica continues this Sunday with a free performance from alternative country rockers I See Hawks in LA
- The California African American Museum presents two new exhibitions this weekend: #sky #nofilter: Hindsight for a Future America by conceptual artist Chloë Bass and Lay Me Down in Praise by multidisciplinary artist Justen LeRoy.
- Getty 25 is bringing a two-day family festival to its museum campus to round out a summer of free community events.
- The Zombie Joe Underground Theater Group is hosting a Killer Klowns from Outer Space Cosplay Dance Party.
- Messhall celebrates its 10th anniversary with a cookout featuring complimentary grill platters (served until they’re gone!), specialty cocktails, games, prize draws and music by DJ Billy Badlove. The fun lasts from 5pm to 8pm
- The City of West Hollywood and the Classical Theater Lab are hosting a free community performance by Edmond Rostand The Romanticson Sunday at 3pm at Kings Road Park
Want the best things to do in LA delivered straight to your inbox? Join over 60,000 Angelenos who subscribe to our twice-weekly email newsletter!