Mission & Context
Médecins Sans Frontières is an independent international medical and humanitarian organization that provides assistance to people in need, victims of natural or man-made disasters and victims of armed conflict without discrimination and without regard to race, religion, belief or political affiliation.
Doctors Without Borders is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to helping others in crisis. As such, Doctors Without Borders is an association. Every individual who works with MSF does so with conviction and is ready to uphold MSF’s values and principles.
The MSF movement consists of five operational directorates supported by 21 sections, 24 federations and other MSF offices around the world. The Médecins Sans Frontières Operations Center in Geneva (OCG) is one of these directorates. Operations are conducted by field teams and mission coordination teams.
The position of Deputy Director is part of the Communications and Fundraising Department, whose role is central to supporting MSF’s social mission. The goal of the department is to maximize interaction with audiences in Switzerland, locally and globally, and to raise awareness of the situation of populations and communities in the humanitarian and medical care provided by Médecins Sans Frontières. The fundraising function is a central element of this position and one of the pillars of the social mission: in 2021, almost CHF 136 million in private funds were raised in Switzerland – through campaigns with the public and our supporters, as and through philanthropic activities.
The MSF OCG Strategic Plan (2020-2023) aims to increase engagement of existing MSF supporters and expand MSF’s audience, particularly in Switzerland.
In this context, you will be responsible for the department head of communications and fundraising and will have primary responsibility for the fundraising units of the department (mass market, regular donor acquisition, philanthropy, fundraising systems).
- Participation in coordination with the department management in the development of the vision, relevant strategies and goal definitions for the entire communication and fundraising department.
- Developing relevant fundraising strategies and overseeing MSF’s fundraising activities in Switzerland.
- Conduct the annual planning process for fundraising, four-year forecasts and budget reviews in coordination with department leadership, and collaborate with funding partners and organizations.
- Work with units to set fundraising goals and monitor results.
- Demonstrate innovative approaches, thought leadership and creativity in managing the fundraising investments already made and shaping the future of fundraising and development in the Swiss market.
- Participate in international fundraising platforms within the MSF movement and provide expertise to the entities affiliated with the Geneva Operations Center.
- Lead by delegation of department management 5 employees under direct supervision leading fundraising teams totaling around 40 employees.
- Work transversally with other departments of the department and other departments of MSF, such as B. Human Resources or Associative.
- Advanced degree in a fundraising-related discipline.
- Specific training in fundraising is an advantage
- At least 8-10 years of fundraising experience in the philanthropic field
- Broad understanding of communication topics (image, positioning, etc.).
- Required: Experience with Médecins Sans Frontières/a humanitarian organization or within an NGO.
- Proven experience in roles that require strategic vision, planning and genuine creativity
- Proven experience in leading and leading a multidisciplinary team.
- Preferably fluent in French or German and good knowledge of the other language.
- Fluent English
- Italian is an asset
- Interested in MSF’s humanitarian principles
- Natural disposition for public relations
- Adaptability, flexibility
- Ability to motivate a team and work internally with employees from different departments (communication, finance, etc.).
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and meet deadlines in a dynamic and ever-changing environment
- Available for frequent trips to Zurich; and possible annual field trip.
- Knowledge of fundraising tools
- Proven success in roles requiring judgement, synthesis and analysis, as well as the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Experience in team supervision
- Proven skills in project management and planning
- Digital orientation with excellent computer skills
Conditions of Employment
- Full-time position 100% (40h/week)
- 3 year term, renewable once, maximum 6 years
- Place of work: Geneva,
- Ideal start date: December 1, 2022
- Gross annual salary: from CHF 127,633 to CHF 142,692 (salary according to equivalent experience and internal salary scale)
How to apply
Applicants submit their application as per the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in French or English.
The application deadline is October 16, 2022
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. We strive to create workplaces where teams of people with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, perspectives, ideas and experiences work together for MSF’s social mission to achieve better outcomes for our patients and the communities we work with.
We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, backgrounds, religions, beliefs, ability statuses and any other diversity characteristics.
MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any form of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment. All selected candidates are therefore subjected to a reference check.