Join our international non-profit research organization and help connect environmental and developmental science with policy and practice. The Stockholm Environment Institute is a world leading research institute in its field. We are a dynamic and expanding workplace employing around 110 people from 28 different nationalities in an activity-oriented headquarters in central Stockholm (garrisons). We have another 200 employees in seven centers around the world.
SEI is midway through its current five-year strategy for 2020-2024: Knowledge for Action. The strategy focuses on three areas of impact: climate risk reduction, sustainable resource use and ecosystem resilience, and improved health and well-being. SEI achieves change in these areas by collaborating with partners in projects that connect science and politics through scientific collaboration, capacity building and political engagement and outreach. We implement our activities in countries and with partners all over the world.
SEI is a project-based organization with a broad portfolio of different project and funders. The success of our fundraising efforts, including writing competitive proposals to research councils, international organizations, and bilateral donors, is key to our success as an organization. Fundraising at SEI is a shared responsibility of all staff working on the project, with responsibility increasing incrementally with seniority.
The Grants and Funding Manager role is a new position at SEI headquarters. The successful candidate will play an integral role in our ongoing fundraising efforts, working closely with Headquarters line management, Treasury and senior management to enhance our professional grant and funding management processes and provide shared ownership and oversight of the project portfolio from the pipeline to ensure closure.
Your role is to develop and maintain appropriate research project proposal processes at SEI headquarters, ensure that appropriate quality assurance procedures are followed, and develop and maintain reliable resource planning decision support. They also develop and maintain appropriate procedures to ensure up-to-date information about the ongoing project portfolio to enable a good overview and reliable decision support for resource planning.
You will lead the work to increase proposition writing competency at SEI globally. This includes ensuring that there are appropriate guidelines on the intranet and regular training of colleagues in the writing of proposals.
We expect you to shape and develop this position over time to create demand for your professional services by actively reaching out to colleagues at HQ and SEI worldwide and be proactive by exploring new ways of working with propose to the project portfolio management.
The successful candidate will report to the Operations Director and be part of a small global team of experts working on quality of research and engagement operations, tracking and learning of strategy results, global knowledge management, IT and information security.
- Development and maintenance of project portfolio management processes for proposals, approvals and projects
- Provide decision support for resource planning, including procedures and systems
- Assisting researchers and project managers in developing research proposals, including items such as administrative data, statistics and reference projects
- Develop and maintain information on funders’ terms and conditions
- Organize activities that increase proposition writing and fundraising competency in SEI globally, including documentation for the Knowledge Management Hub
- Chair of the HQ Operations Committee
- Prepare information about the project and application as a basis for making decisions about changing jobs.
You thrive in a work environment that encourages you to identify problems and propose solutions. You have strong communication skills and are very good at building and maintaining professional relationships to facilitate organizational change. You have the ability to quickly familiarize yourself with new topics and explore new research areas across disciplines. You are motivated and feel comfortable both working independently and working with others. They seek support and proactively seek input from others. You enjoy leading meetings, people and processes and are comfortable making decisions.
- Academic qualification in economics, business administration or information or data science
- Good knowledge of dealing with numbers and very good knowledge of Excel
- At least 8 years of experience working with research funding and/or business development in a research institution, government agency, university or knowledge-based company
- Experience and interest in developing system support for project portfolio management and monitoring
- Knowledge of the use and application of dashboard software such as PowerBI desirable
- Experience in a grant office at a Swedish university or research institution would be an advantage
- Documented knowledge of and work with EU funding sources, including Horizon Europe, either as a consultant or as a project leader, desirable
- Excellent command of the Swedish language.
At SEI HQ we offer a stimulating position in an international environment. You will be part of a leading multinational, multidisciplinary and multilingual team of professionals in an organization where the wellbeing and development of our people is a high priority. We value diversity and creativity and welcome applicants from a variety of backgrounds. Our goal is to offer everyone a safe, professional and creative place to work.
- Collective agreement including company pension and many other collectively agreed benefits
- Annual health contribution and additional benefits related to promoting employee well-being such as annual health checks
- Opportunities for professional growth and advancement
- Flexible working hours, 37.5-hour week and generous vacation days
- To be part of tackling environmental and development challenges and developing solutions for a sustainable future for all.
This is a full-time, permanent position with internship at SEI Headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden. We apply a standard six-month trial period. The start date is as soon as possible or by arrangement.
You do not need to be a Swedish or EU citizen, have a work or residence permit to apply for a position at SEI HQ. However, for this position we need both Swedish and English language skills.
SEI has a hybrid work environment that allows employees to split their time between the SEI office and working from home in Sweden.
We expect the first round of interviews to take place on October 24-26, 2022 and the second and final round on November 15-16, 2022. We aim to complete recruitment by the end of November 2022.
Please submit your application as soon as possible. We are constantly reviewing applications, so we recommend early applications. We only accept applications in English submitted through our recruitment system. Please apply online using the button below and attach the following:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience and why you are motivated for this position