About the spot
For a position as a doctoral student, the goal is to complete doctoral training up to obtaining a doctorate. The Ph.D. Position will provide opportunities to develop high-quality research in the field of digitization of circular construction.
The position will specifically focus on the tracking and tracing of scrap wood in the circWood project funded by the Research Council of Norway (RCN).
circWOOD will follow the life cycle of Norwegian recycled wood and find new ways to use this resource. The project will analyze the sustainability and environmental footprint of the wood value chain based on strategies and new technologies that contribute to the circular economy. circWOOD will identify and explore ways to simplify processes using the latest methods of digitally collecting, analyzing and sharing data. In addition, the project will address the underlying policy framework and examine its economic implications. circWOOD is an integral part of sirkTRE, which aims to lead the wood industry and the construction industry towards a holistic, circular, green transition.
This PhD position mainly focuses on digital tracking of the circular wood value chain: developing technologies to track the circular wood value chain by securely integrating and sharing information from different stakeholders on one platform to improve process tracking and decision-making at both national/regional and local level product level.
The Ph.D. The candidate will be a member of the group of a digital twin for a sustainable built environment at NTNU and will work closely with other PhD students/postdocs in projects and research groups of the department.
You report to the department head.
duties of the position
- Examine the data source and collect data for the circular wood value chain in the construction industry.
- Development of a methodology to merge data fusion, sharing and protection with tracing and tracing of the circular wood value chain for sustainability assessment and policy making.
- Development of a micro and macro level digital twin platform to track the property, quality, quantity and location of reclaimed wood from existing buildings to the next life and further analyze the product circular process.
- Within the project, a small prototype and an experimental validation of the digital twin in the wood industry will be carried out.
Required Selection Criteria
- You must have a job-related background in civil engineering, computer science and technology, or computer systems engineering.
- Your education must be equivalent to a five-year Norwegian course, earning 120 credits at Master’s level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and a grade point average from a master’s degree or equivalent education that is at least B on the NTNU grading scale. If you have no grades from your previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have weaker grades, you can be assessed if you can prove that you are particularly suitable for a doctorate.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty doctoral program (https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phiv)
Applicants must be fluent in spoken and written English. Applicants whose mother tongue is not English and who do not have a master’s degree in Europe must demonstrate good written and spoken English skills. The following tests can be used as such evidence: TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are: TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (internet-based test); IELTS: 6.5, with no section below 5.5 (only academic IELTS test is accepted); CAE/CPE: Grade B or A. In exceptional cases, formal proof of language skills can be waived. In this case, the language skills of the applicant will be assessed in a personal interview
Preferred selection criteria
- Scientific publication in relevant subject area.
- Solid experience in GIS, BIM and development of digital twins.
- Experience with game engines like UNREAL, UNITY, OMNIVERSE etc.
- Experience in programming skills, blockchain and artificial intelligence is weighted
- Experience with Semantic Web
- The candidate must be independent, have a great working capacity and enthusiasm for research.
- The candidate is expected to contribute to a good research and work environment.
- Personal characteristics such as creativity, analytical and structured thinking and the ability to carry out projects are taken into account in the selection process.
- The applicant must be motivated to work closely with teams and external partners
- The focus is on personal and interpersonal qualities.
salary and conditions
As a doctoral student (code 1017) you will normally be paid from NOK 501 200 gross per year before tax, depending on your qualifications and seniority. 2% is deducted from salary as a contribution to the Norwegian Civil Service Pension Fund.
The employment period is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the Engineering PhD program (https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phiv) within three months of employment and participation in an organized PhD program during the employment period. join program .
The engagement is carried out in accordance with the applicable regulations for government employees and officials as well as the laws controlling the export of strategic goods, services and technology. Candidates found to be inconsistent with the criteria of the latter statute, after evaluation of the application and addendum, will be disqualified from employment at NTNU. After the appointment, you must assume that there may be changes in the work area.
The position is third-party funded.
It is a requirement that you are present and available for the facility on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and accompanying documents to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will only be considered based on the information submitted by the application deadline. Therefore, make sure that your application clearly shows how your skills and experience meet the above criteria.
The application must contain:
- CV and certificates
- Certificates and diplomas for bachelor’s and master’s degrees. If you have not completed your master’s degree, you must submit confirmation that you have submitted your master’s thesis.
- A copy of the master’s thesis. If you have recently submitted your master’s thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Proof of a completed master’s degree must be submitted before starting the job.
- project proposal
- Name and contact details of three reviewers
- If you have publications or other relevant research papers
If you have completed all or part of your training abroad, we also ask that you document the scope and quality of your entire training, both the bachelor’s and master’s training, as well as other university training. A description of the required documents can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach that as well.
We will consider joint work. If your involvement in the joint work is difficult to identify, you must include a brief description of your involvement.
When assessing which candidate is best qualified, emphasis is placed on education, experience, and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambition and potential are also included in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following the research quality assessment criteria of the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA.
Working at NTNU
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity are our strength. We want to attract people with different skills, educational backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives in order to contribute to solving our social tasks in education and research. We will take care of the needs of our employees.
NTNU actively works to increase the number of women in academic positions and has a range of resources to promote equality. (tas bort hvis ikke currently)
The town of Gjovik has 30 000 inhabitants and is a city known for its rich musical and cultural life. The beautiful nature surrounding the city is ideal for an active outdoor life! The Norwegian welfare state, including health care, schools, kindergartens and general equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world.
As an employee of NTNU, you must at all times comply with the changes brought about by the development of the subject and the organizational changes adopted.
After the application period has expired, a public list of applicants will be created with their name, age, job title and place of residence. If you wish to exclude yourself from being included in the public list of applicants, this must be justified. The assessment is based on applicable law. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Prof. Lizhen Huang, email [email protected]. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Senior Adviser Per David Nielsen, email: [email protected]
If you think this looks interesting and matches your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no along with your CV, certificates and certificates. Applications submitted in any other way will not be considered. You must be able to obtain certified copies of your documents upon request.
Application deadline: October 19, 2022
NTNU – Knowledge for a Better World
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can transform everyday life.
Faculty of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering
Our competence profile can help to solve the most important social challenge in the world: the development of sustainable solutions in business and society. This profile includes research into modern industrial processes, the use of new and recycled materials, new technological solutions and the application of new forms of organization and business models. The Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering is one of eight departments of the Faculty of Engineering.
meeting October 19, 2022
employer NTNU – Norwegian University of Science and Technology
scope full time
duration In the interim
place of duty Gjovik