Action Against Hunger-Horn and East Africa is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian aid in the areas of nutrition, health, water/sanitation and food security in over 40 countries worldwide. Action Against the Hungerhorn and East Africa is an independent NGO currently leading operations in Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Uganda. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $60 million in programs and approximately 1,500 permanent staff in New York City, Washington DC, Nairobi and in country offices.
1. Summary of position
The position holder is responsible for the technical quality implementation and delivery of health and nutrition, FSL and WASH services in the assigned district. He/She is mainly responsible for the day-to-day implementation of screening, OTP, counselling, outreach EPI, health education, WASH/sanitation, safe motherhood and child health and the implementation of delegated FSL project activities according to the action plan.
The purpose, commitment and delivery of the project leader are:
The job holder will also be expected to provide oversight, technical support and capacity building to health advisors and health workers in health care settings. She/He is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the health and nutrition service package according to the standard, supporting health facilities assigned as an integrated health and nutrition modality, ensuring that projects target the beneficiaries most in need, and exploring and evaluating new and better ones Ways Supporting, promoting and sharing ideas for technical improvements and reaching out and collaborating with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders.
- Representing integrated health, nutrition, WASH and FSL issues at the district level through the engagement of DMO and local authorities.
- Identification of partners and other bodies in the region (gap analysis, who does what where), presentation of the program to local authorities, community representatives, beneficiaries and partners.
- Developing a framework for communication with local representatives (regular meetings, identifying key local actors and working with them) to facilitate harmonious and productive relationships.
- Participate in regular field-level coordination meetings with ministry staff
- Organize regular meetings with other sectors within ACTION AGAINST HUNGER and other agencies in the region and plan joint activities.
- Establishment of a quality assurance system for universal access to integrated health, nutrition and WASH.
- Improving the quality of mobile health services by setting up the referral of critical cases to the respective treatment centers.
- Mapping of beneficiaries of draftees and reporting to supervisor
- Health and nutrition team trained on IMAM guidelines
- Implementation of the integrated health, nutrition, WASH and FSL program initiatives.
2. Essential Job Duties.
Goal 1: Ensure quality nutrition and health intervention translated into Action Against Hunger Destinations:
- Ensuring the provision of integrated health and nutritional prevention activities for children under 5 years of age, as well as for pregnant lactating women.
- Coordinate monthly integrated mobile health and nutrition responses with integrated case screening, identification and referral.
- Coordinate awareness-raising before and during the delivery of integrated health and nutrition services to mobilize communities for services.
- Ensure the continuous supply of health and nutritional materials necessary to conduct health and nutritional services are available at all times.
- Ensure integration of WASH and FSL initiatives in the target beneficiary.
- Maintain a good record keeping system and conduct continuous monitoring and periodic evaluation of project activities.
- Work with the district to identify and implement a health program communications strategy, including the printing and distribution of IEC materials focused on health and nutrition information.
- Using existing CHWs and health workers, the district will be supported in conducting health promotion outreach camps and awareness activities to encourage the uptake of health and nutrition services with Ministry of Health (MoH) approved messages.
- Coordinate with community committees to facilitate quarterly district-level convergence point meetings.
- plan and coordinate training for structures; peer educators and leaders on the subject of health and nutrition and support the respective meetings.
- Participate in the development of program work plans and review monthly with managers.
- Support in the preparation of donor reports and project reports.
- Ensure that all activities are carried out according to the work plan and the objectives are met.
- Connects and creates strong connections and partnerships with other agencies, state and national stakeholders implementing health and nutrition prevention and control services in the target area.
Goal 2: Reporting
- Submit regular reports as needed and keep managers informed of program-related activities
- Send weekly, monthly and quarterly activity reports to managers.
- Maintain proper records for all correspondence of the program.
- Responsible for exchanging minutes for all relevant official meetings held on site.
Goal 3: Representation & Coordination
- Representing Action Against Hunger in coordination meetings, workshops, working groups, working group meetings.
- Representing the Action Against Hunger program on the district health management team to ensure all program activities are conducted in collaboration with them.
3. Supervision Duties
No supervisory duties in this position. The incumbent will provide the necessary support to the Health and Nutrition Officer of ACTION AGAINST HUNGER as well as the District Medical Officer to provide quality health and nutrition services in the Gedo region of Jubbaland State in Somalia.
4. Commitments to Gender Equality
- Foster an environment that supports women’s and men’s values and equal access to information.
- Create a work environment where women and men need to be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and achievements.
- Respect the women, men, children (boys and girls) of beneficiaries regardless of gender, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age or marital status.
- Appreciate and respect all cultures.
5. Tax Responsibility
- Assist in monitoring and preparing district budget needs
6. Physical Requirements
- While performing this job, the worker is required to sit for a long time concentrating on work, including typing, and accurately accomplish large amounts of work in a short time under stressful situations in a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately, rarely requiring minor corrections.
- The physical requirements described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of that job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable persons with disabilities to perform essential functions.
7. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- The job requires regular attendance at the workplace for at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on weekends as needed.
- Must be able to travel as required for normal domestic and international business purposes. In carrying out this activity in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious environments with high security risks and/or very simple living conditions and external weather conditions as well as infectious diseases.
8. Required qualifications and work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in medicine, midwifery, nursing, social sciences or related fields,
- At least 3 years of professional experience in a similar field in the context of Somalia.
9. Required skills and competencies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Communication in English is an important requirement. Knowledge of the Somali language is an advantage.
- Self-motivated, honest, very responsible and punctual.
- Strong character traits including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to deal with gender sensitivity
- Ability to work in a team and also to work independently if necessary
- Ability to address gaps and weaknesses constructively.
- Self-motivated, creative, open-minded, flexible and personal stress management
How to apply
Applications including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references by e-mail to: [email protected] not later than September 26, 2022 clear mention of the position in the subject line. Project Manager Dolow.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Action Against Hunger is an equal opportunity employer and strives to hire the best qualified talent