It’s Rock and Roll Race Week in Arizona! The marathon, half marathon, 10km and 5km races are held in Tempe on January 14th and 15th. And even if you’re not working, the area’s traffic shutdowns can affect your weekend commute.
* The video above highlights the story of a man’s journey in the valley to participate in the Rock and Roll Marathon in 2022.
Here’s what to know about the packed event this weekend!
5 races, 2 days
- The marathon, half marathon and 10km are held on January 15th.
- The marathon and half marathon starts at 7:50 am, while the 10K race starts at 7:20 am
- The starting line is set at the Fulton Center [ASU Campus, 300 E. University Drive] in Tempe.
- Finish Line is located in Tempe Beach Park [80 West Rio Salado Parkway].
- The time limit for a marathon is 7 hours and a half marathon is 4 hours.
- The time limit of 10k is 2 hours.
- 5K on Jan. 14, Race of the Stars at 8 a.m
- Start line and finish line [different points] At Tempe Beach Park [80 West Rio Salado Parkway].
- The time limit for this race is one hour.
- KiDS ROCK on Jan. 14, Race for the Stars at 10 a.m
- The start and finish line are at Tempe Beach Park.
There will be race-themed on-track entertainment at select mileage stops.
The cast includes: Gary the Singing Cowboy, Drumlin’ High School’s Cesar Chavez, Mariachi Pasion, DJ Hemisphere, Fighter Country Talent and Joey Gottus.
Click here to see the full list of artists and which Mile station they will be performing at.
According to event officials, there is free parking for Rock and Roll Music ASU Lot 59 participants [500 East Veterans Way, Tempe]. Other ASU parking structures will provide $16 per day parking for participants. Click here to see a map of ASU parking locations.
MAJOR CLOSURE FOR SATURDAY AT TEMPE:
- Mill Ave from E Curry Rd to E Rio Salado Pkwy
- Curry Road from Mill Ave to College Ave
- College Ave from Curry Rd to Gilbert Drive. College Street from Cary Road to Gilbert Drive
- Lake View Drive from Curry Road to Washington Drive
Close to the main Sunday Rd
- Mill Ave from Washington to E Rio Salado Pkwy
- Mill Ave from N Galvin Pkwy to Washington Drive
- Mill Ave from Washington Drive to N Galvin Pkwy
- Indian School Road from 48th Street to 64th Street N
Other ways close
- Van Buren Street from 48th Street to N Mill Street. [6:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.]
- Priest driving from Van Buren Street to Pkwy Center. [6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.]
- Pkwy Center from Priest Drive to Mill Ave. [6:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.]
- Van Buren Street from Galvin BKY/Priest Dr to Curry Road. [6:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.]
- University Road from S Mill Ave to Rural Rd. [ 3a.m. to 10 a.m.]
- University Road from Country Road to McClintock Road. [6:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.]
- Innovation Pl from SkySong Blvd to McDowell Rd. [6:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.]
- Scottsdale Road from McDowell Road to Thomas Road. [6:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.]
Click here to view an in-depth Valley Road closing excel sheet for the two-day Rock ‘n’ Roll event.